Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

I spent today with my wife and my mother trying to thank them for the great job they do every day of the year. My mother's day present to the community was not to be knocking on their doors today.

Mother's have one of the hardest jobs out there. And they don't even get paid.

Our government has a responsibility to support parents. As they say, the children are our future. We already do a lot through our schools, our libraries and our parks. I, for one, enjoy taking my kids to the local parks and libraries.

And if the government can't be helpful to parents, it has the job of getting out of the way and letting parents parent. One area of legislation that I'd like to revisit are the regulations concerning child-care. I support the movement to professionalize daycare providers. Background checks, safety inspections, certifications, etc. But that costs money. We are creating a situation where the people that need childcare the most, the working poor and the middle class, can't afford it. We need to review our laws to make sure that we aren't increasing daycare costs above the level where most people can afford them.

There have been reports of neighbors watching neighbors children and then getting hit with fines from the state. That's not right.

Protect the mothers, protect the children, Vote Chiappelli.

No comments:

Post a Comment