Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Graffiti-free neighborhoods

Graffiti and vandalism drive me crazy. I hate them.

There is the tipping point theory which states that if you let the little problems go, then the big problems come. If you don't clean up the graffiti, then the gangs and drugs follow.

I'm not sure if I believe the theory whole-heartedly, but I really don't want to live in a neighborhood with graffiti.

Interestingly, the three Republican incumbents sponsored a bill in 2008 to take the drivers licenses away from juveniles convicted of vandalism. As much as I hate to agree with the guys I'm running against, I do like the spirit of this bill. But increased punishment only works if you catch them.

I will say that if you catch someone vandalizing your property, you can always sue them in civil court. Give me a call at 410-689-9894 and we'll talk.

In Baltimore City, you can call the city and they will send a crew out to clean up the graffiti. I've always wondered why Anne Arundel County doesn't offer a similar service. My guess is the cost.

It seems like the kind of service that people want and would be willing to pay a graffiti-insurance for. Why hasn't the free market fixed this problem?

What are your suggestions for reducing graffiti?

No comments:

Post a Comment