Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Candidates Health Insurance

I had the opportunity to attend a candidate forum on Monday, May 12th. It ended up primarily being a chance for the candidates to speak to each other. One of the questions asked really opened my eyes and I wanted to share with everyone.

The question was in two parts: What is your day job and how do you have health insurance?

As it turns out, the majority of the candidates either already worked for the state or were retired. That explains how they have the time to campaign.

Interestingly enough, the vast majority of the candidates have their health insurance through the government. A lot were retired military with Tricare, another bunch had benefits from the state government and there were a smattering of Medicaid and state benefits through their spouses.

Four of us ran small businesses and had to pay health insurance. Although, to be fair, I switched to be covered by my wife's health insurance plan in January.

By my calculations then, the four of us who pay for our own health insurance and pay taxes are in essence paying for the health insurance for everyone in the room. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment