Friday, June 22, 2012

Science Fiction

I'm a big fan of science fiction. I read a lot of it. I like the movies. I've even tried my hand at writing science fiction. The problem I've been having lately is that science fact is moving too fast. I have started a number of short stories only to have new discoveries make them obsolete before I have a chance to finish the stories. It's an amazing feeling. I've been watching a lot of TedTalks recently (because they are streaming on Netflix). And I am amazed at what's coming. Self-aware robots, regenerating missing limbs, doubling lifespans, new ways to live, new planets to explore, etc., etc. I'm particularly interested in how the government affects these developments. China has a very aggressive space program. Japan has a very ambitious medical program. Europe is developing the newest alternative energies. America....America pretty much lets private entities do what they want. There's something to be said for all the approaches, but I'm rooting for the home team. I want America on top of the latest science breakthroughs. The latest space technologies are going to be expensive and complicated. The government may not have to do it alone, but it will need to lend a hand. I also want science that is free from politics. Biotech is booming outside of America's borders because of politically motivated obstacles placed on stem cell research. Alternative energy policies change from year to year because of pressure from the oil industries, paving the way for Europe to claim the field. The robots still worry me though. I don't quite trust them. Japan is welcome to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment