Sunday, September 19, 2010

Helmets and Freedom

While I was standing outside of the polls on election day, a fellow rode up and wanted to know if I stood for freedom or not. Of course I said yes because I can't think of a single candidate who opposes freedom. (Actually I just thought of a couple, some of whom I am running against.)

As it turns out, his biggest issue was the helmet law in Maryland which mandates that a biker must wear a helmet or face fines and possible criminal conviction.

I have to confess that I do not own a motorcycle and I have never actually ridden a motorcycle. My wife has. Her whole family, my in-laws, are big motorcycle people. Once you turn three in her family, you learn to ride a bike. She's not kidding, I've seen the photos. My father-in-law owns Deer Park Cycle in Westminster doing repairs and restorations. His brand of choice is the Triumph. (Trying to get you some business, Jack!)



I think it's absurd to have a law that forces people to wear helmets. To me, it seems like a good idea to wear a helmet, but that's just my opinion. And that's my point. It's your skull. It's not the government's business what you choose to do with it. It is if you are interfering with the life, liberty or property of another person. But wearing a helmet is a personal decision. I don't see how the government can justify this law.

I would proudly sponsor the legislation to repeal the helmet law in Maryland. To answer that voters question again, yes I stand for freedom.

Vote for freedom, Vote Chiappelli.

No comments:

Post a Comment