Friday, November 20, 2009

Police Northern District

I had the opportunity to attend the Anne Arundel County Northern Police District Community meeting on November 4th. (I also have to confess that I'm not sure what the proper name for the group is!)

You learn more by listening. And I wanted to learn what's going on at the community level in regards to crime.

The media portrays certain neighborhoods as having serious crimes every day. It was nice to learn that serious crimes are not as common as the media suggests. It was also good to meet with the police officers and see that they really care about preventing crimes and catching the criminals. Last months meeting was apparently much larger and more involved. Gangs are becoming a larger problem in the area.

I asked one of the police officers what they need from the state legislators and his response, without a pause, was legislation to deal with gangs.

And that, my friends, is legislation that I would proudly sponsor.

No comments:

Post a Comment